Sunday, May 13, 2007

Why I love eBay.


minidisc lot
Originally uploaded by eraine.
I got the following message last night from a satisfied and awesome buyer:
Q: Thank you for sending the Minidiscs so quickly! I liked the Chinese music the best and will save it. Although I don't know the singers name, I know he is credited with bringing rock and roll to Chinese Asia. Do you have any more Xeus or Maxwell minidiscs to sell? If so let me know. Have you heard of David Tao or the group Tension? Based on your music preferences, I think you'd like them. I am a big fan of Alex To and also Sandy Lam. Anyway just wanted to thank you and wish the best! Steve* probably the only Caucsian guy in the midwest who likes Chinese pop music...
The item was a lot of 28 used minidiscs, and it's been so long since I've listened to them that I don't remember what's on there. But I believe the artist he is talking about is Richie Yam, also known as Richie Ren or Richie Jen (a Cantonese vs. Taiwan vs. China spelling difference).

The message made me feel warm and fuzzy inside, and I think it is for the following reasons:
  1. It was fairly lengthy, compared to most of my correspondence with buyers or sellers, which tends to be very brief
  2. The buyer expressed appreciation for the fast shipping -- I always figure it's appreciated, but usually I only hear it in a line of eBay feedback.
  3. He told me about music I might like, which is a great social gift. I AM a big fan of David Tao.
  4. Now I know the only Caucasian guy in the midwest who likes Chinese pop music.

* Buyer's last name removed for privacy reasons